How to Change a Flat Tire
Getting a flat tire can easily ruin your day, but knowing how to change a flat can take the fear and worry out of a scary situation. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge on this basic automotive repair, and drive through Southfield with total confidence.
You will need the following items in your car in order to change a flat:
- Owner’s Manual
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench
Check your spare regularly to ensure it is inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. These additional tools will help your repair run even smoother, especially if it is dark or raining outside:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
Proper Steps for Tire Repair
Here is how to remove your flat and install the spare:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location, preferably a level stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Before getting out of the car, turn on your hazard lights.
- Set the parking brake to prevent rolling. Do this even when on level ground.
- Apply the wheel wedges, either in front of the front tires if you’re changing a rear tire, or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Never place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts. They are easy to unscrew them by hand once loose.
- Grip the tire treads and pull gently toward you to remove the flat. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. If it does not fit, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds.
Need Further Assistance? Contact Tamaroff Honda
More From Tamaroff Honda
If you’re looking to enhance your Bloomfield commute, then the new 2020 Honda Accord Sedan interior features are sure to impress. This outstanding sedan has the latest technology, comfort, and safety features to deliver a truly well-rounded ride. Learn more about the Honda Accord Sedan interior features with the automotive professionals at Tamaroff Honda. View Accord…
If you’re shopping around the Bloomfield and Troy area for an SUV that has it all from performance, technology, comfort, and safety, you’ll find what you need with the 2019 Honda CR-V configurations. Throughout this impressive lineup, drivers will have the option of two strong engines, a continuously variable transmission (CVT), along with extra strength…
If you’re in the market for a dependable SUV around Bloomfield and Troy, you may have to choose between performance and comfort, but with the 2019 Honda CR-V LX dimensions, you don’t have to compromise. The interior and exterior of this popular Honda SUV ensure that everyone and everything can come along for the ride…