How to Change a Flat Tire
Getting a flat tire can easily ruin your day, but knowing how to change a flat can take the fear and worry out of a scary situation. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge on this basic automotive repair, and drive through Southfield with total confidence.
You will need the following items in your car in order to change a flat:
- Owner’s Manual
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench
Check your spare regularly to ensure it is inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. These additional tools will help your repair run even smoother, especially if it is dark or raining outside:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
Proper Steps for Tire Repair
Here is how to remove your flat and install the spare:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location, preferably a level stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Before getting out of the car, turn on your hazard lights.
- Set the parking brake to prevent rolling. Do this even when on level ground.
- Apply the wheel wedges, either in front of the front tires if you’re changing a rear tire, or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Never place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts. They are easy to unscrew them by hand once loose.
- Grip the tire treads and pull gently toward you to remove the flat. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. If it does not fit, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven on at high speeds.
Need Further Assistance? Contact Tamaroff Honda
More From Tamaroff Honda
If you’re in the market for a dependable SUV around Bloomfield and Troy, you may have to choose between performance and comfort, but with the 2019 Honda CR-V LX dimensions, you don’t have to compromise. The interior and exterior of this popular Honda SUV ensure that everyone and everything can come along for the ride…
The 2WD version of the 2019 Honda Pilot SUV can tow up to 3,500 pounds. Meanwhile, if you opt for the Intelligent Variable Torque Management AWD System, the new Pilot can tow as much as 5,000 pounds. Read on for more on its towing features, along with answers to burning questions about its specs, such…
It’s that time of the year again: Tamaroff Honda is celebrating 50 years in business with our annual Green Tag Sales Event. Now is a tremendous opportunity to take advantage of our lease offers Bloomfield. Up through March 31, 2019, you can lease a new model at Tamaroff Honda for $50 per month with $50 down. Contact…